Public Health Epidemiologist/Biostatistician – Senior Technical Advisor (PHE-STA)
Please submit Cover Letter and CV to Jeremy at email@example.com
The Georgetown University Center for Global Health Practice and Impact (CGHPI) serves countries to sustainably improve health outcomes through the generation and translation of scientific evidence into policy and practice.
To achieve this mission, we catalyze the uptake, spread, and implementation of innovations; triangulate data from different sources and tailor visualization of the information for each audience; design and implement integrated service delivery models; support communities of practice to inform policy and practice through efficient data use and horizontal and vertical collaboration; disseminate best practices and evidence globally through open source learning networks; build global, collaborative, multi-disciplinary, and interprofessional networks; undertake research that is informed by local needs; and invest in local leadership to own, provide oversight, and sustain implemented interventions. The Center operates in more than 7 countries and domestically within the United States and continues to expand. To advance its mission and align with growth plans, the Center seeks a Public Health Surveillance Senior Technical Advisor (PHS-STA) based in Cameroon (Yaoundé) to support the Cameroon Public Health Emergency Operations Center.
Position Title: Public Health Epidemiologist/Biostatistician – Senior Technical Advisor (PHE-STA)
Reports To: GGHC CGHPI Technical Director, and GGHC CGHPI Strategic Information Director
Location of Work: Yaoundé Cameroon
Number of positions: 1
Position Summary: The PHE-STA will promote, coordinate, and implement technical assistance activities directed toward the Health Information system, and data management of All COVID-19-related data in the Country. The PHE-STA will strive to achieve a sustainable impact on health by providing normative guidance while furthering the development of an innovative and sustainable solution/system for data system related to COVID-19 response from the community/ facilities to the national level. The PHE-STA will provide advanced technical advice and hands-on implementation, including training and mentorship in support of the PHEOC and strengthening COVID-19 data systems with a focus but not limited to sensitization data, testing data, immunization data, and Oxygen supply chain-related data. The PHE-STA will support the development/revision of COVID-19 data management guidelines and standards. The PHE-STA will play a critical role in the integration of current COVID-19 data systems in the country with DHIS2. The PHE-STA will be a member of the Georgetown University Center for Global Health Practice and Impact (GU CGHPI)’s Health Protection Practice & Strategic Information Practice and will contribute to the Center’s other initiatives regionally and globally.
Collaborates with: GU CHPHI Technical Advisory Team assigned to C19RM, the PHEOC Operations Director, Incident Manager at PHEOC, other PHEOC Unit Leads, and other CGHPI HQ Teams.
External Collaborations: CDC Cameroon, The Global Fund, and other stakeholders involved in Public Health Surveillance.
The PHE STA will work with the Public Health Emergency Operations Center to perform the following functions:
- Provides guidance and strategic direction for COVID-19 data management
- Consults with and serves as an interface with the department staff and appropriate committees/units for the purpose of ensuring coordination in systems planning, development, and implementation between the MOH Departments, units, and appropriate external organizations.
- Coordinates the establishment and maintenance of an effective national health information system for oxygen-related data from facilities to the national level
- Acts as a mentor to staff and works with health informatics leadership to improve motivation, learning, and professional growth opportunities. May be asked to train and coach local MoH and PHEOC staff to meet performance standards (including conducting performance evaluations, establishing expectations, and providing timely feedback to staff)
- In collaboration with PHEOC, lead data analysis of all related studies under C19RM as needed
- Collaborates with MOH IT Unit and other relevant stakeholders in strengthening and creating an integration framework between existing COVID data management systems and other available health information systems.
- Ensures data (Mainly COVID-19) are maintained accurately and in a confidential environment and that information is presented in a professional, accurate, and understandable way
- Conducts assessments of the medical informatics environments, synthesizes pertinent information, and identifies implications for planning and development of both clinical services and educational programs, providing periodic structured environmental assessment and recommendations relative to the future direction for medical informatics for the health systems in General and specifically COVID-19
- Collaborate and support in preparation for the assessment of the Resilience of Cameroon’s system to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In collaboration with the PHE-STA, contribute to developing and managing surveillance information systems to ensure surveillance data is available for monitoring and reporting.
- Provide expertise in the analysis, systematization, and dissemination of scientific and evidence-based technical information and knowledge to support the development of health Information system policies and regulations.
- Coordinates the preparation of progress and annual reports (including evaluation and assessments reports) and ensures their timely distribution to stakeholders
- Perform other functions as may be required
GGH Cameroon Section/Context / Required competencies
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own actions and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities, and projects
- Flexibility: Response positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust, and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
Essential Qualifications / Experience Requirements
- Education: A university degree in Biostatistics, Statistics, Informatics, or any related relevant field and must have attained a master’s degree in Public Health specializing in Epidemiology.
- Experience: At least 5 years of data analysis and development of data systems at all levels including the national level preferably in sub-Sahara Africa.
- Knowledge: Knowledge of current and emerging trends in advanced statistical analysis for scientific application.
- Knowledge of SAS programming and/or other statistical software.
- Knowledge of scientific reporting and manuscript preparation requirements and standards.
- Strong analytical communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to professional personnel in their area of expertise.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize projects.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of probability and medical statistics theory.
- Knowledge of data management principles and regulatory requirements for clinical trials and medical research.
- Strong focus, quality, and timely delivery of work.
- Willingness to travel within Cameroon
- Interpersonal/Individual Competencies: the ability to work with other team members, flexibility, decisiveness, and personal integrity
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative public health survey methodologies will be an added advantage.
- Proven training and mentorship experience
- Verifiable record and experience in data system development and data analysis
- Abilities: Comfortable with a team approach to programming and the ability to manage several major activities simultaneously.
- Ability to apply a range of advanced statistical techniques in support of scientific research studies and/or experiments.
- Ability to process computer data and format and generate reports.
- Ability to consult with scientific investigators, interpret research requirements, and determine statistical analysis strategies.
- Ability to plan, create, program, and manage complex statistical computer databases.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and draw conclusions from complex statistical information.
- Travel: Willingness to travel within Cameroon
Instructions for Submitting Applications,
1. All applications should be submitted electronically to:
2. Please mention in the subject line of the email the position for which you are applying
3. Applications should include 3 references that are familiar with the applicant’s work experience preferably in the last 3-5 years. References should include contact information including daytime phone and e-mail address.
4. All applications should include a cover letter that details one’s suitability for the job highlighting key functional areas’ expected qualifications and experiences.
5. Candidates should attach a 3-page CV/Resume that highlights one’s key achievements in areas relevant to the job.
6. Job-related stated qualifications and experience are the basic minimum requirements that each applicant must meet to be considered for an interview.
7. All applicants should include daytime phone contact information.
8. Deadline for application is 20th February 2023, Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Georgetown University Center for Global Health Practice and Impact through its local entity Georgetown Global Health Cameroon is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of gender, ethnicity, or any other status variable.