Health Management Information Systems (HMIS) Advisor (Eswatini)
The Georgetown University Center for Global Health Practice and Impact (CGHPI) serves countries to improve their population health and well-being and to safeguard against health-related threats by advancing the use of evidence and human-centered enterprise architecture on the path towards achieving equity and social justice. To achieve this mission, we catalyze the uptake, spread, and implementation of innovations; triangulate data from different sources, and tailor visualization of the information for each audience; design and implement integrated service delivery models; support communities of practice to inform policy and practice through efficient data use and horizontal and vertical collaboration; disseminate best practices and evidence globally through open source learning networks; build global, collaborative, multi-disciplinary, and interprofessional networks; undertake research that is informed by local needs; and invest in local leadership to own, provide oversight, and sustain implemented interventions.
CGHPI has recently received an award from the U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) through funding from the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). The program will support the Kingdom of Eswatini to provide comprehensive, quality assured care, treatment and prevention HIV/TB services in Manzini and Lubombo regions. As a result, CGHPI is recruiting for the following position, and seeks exceptional individuals to join the team and further enrich our unique offerings.
Job Location: Mbabane, Eswatini
The Health Management Information Systems (HMIS) Advisor will support implementation of strategies and activities related to information systems such as the CMIS, and the enhancement of platforms for optimized information collection and sharing – including databases, text messaging and app-based platforms. The position will ensure that all program activities are fully supported by desktop and mobile applications that facilitate execution of various activities as well as the capture of key data from these activities. The position will work with all program staff to ensure system requirements are designed to meet program needs for the immediate and long term, and that system designs are in line with end user requirements and ease of use. The HMIS specialist will oversee development of different kinds of software systems including voice-based platforms and solutions. The position will support and troubleshoot applications and services deployed on physical servers, virtual servers, networks, and storage systems.
- Participate in the development and implementation of business processes that promote data use, including building regional capacity to create and access reports needed from the CMIS.
- Provide mentorship and coaching to regional monitoring and evaluation officers to support quality assurance efforts at health facilities related to the use of both paper based and electronic CMIS.
- Provide need-based training to strengthen capacity to implement CMIS and other information platforms.
- Provide informatics support to the Data Management Team (DMT) at the Ministry of Health, the ENAP and other stakeholders.
- Serve as the focal person collaborating closely with partners implementing CMIS, ensuring that resources are leveraged to minimize duplication and strengthening the feedback loop between implementation at the health facility level and system developers.
- Work closely with MoH, Solutions, and other IP staff on various common platforms within the national HIV programs space
- Prepare and install solutions by determining and designing system and programming.
- Ensure that all required EMRs for program operations are functional
- Ensure all HMIS support systems remain functional, available and secure.
- Ensure proper backup of data as per pertinent protocols
- Support the generation of reports from different data sources in line with data management demands
- Support monitoring and evaluation of program implementation particularly through development of dashboards and visualizations for performance analysis
- Participate in the dissemination of data and information to stakeholders as appropriate
Required Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelors’ degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Science or related field
- Minimum of 5 years working experience with demonstrated success developing a variety of software systems including analysis, design, implementation and deployment tasks
- Proficiency with MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQL Server, Web services APIs, working in mixed environments including Linux, Unix and/or Windows on desktop, server, tablet, and mobile systems
- Experience with health management information systems including Electronic Health records, laboratory information systems, Supply chain information systems, and health reporting systems such as DHIS2/CMIS.
- Experience with small- and large-scale data analysis and presentation, visualization and reporting
- Strong organizational, time management, communication, leadership, coaching and team building skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships to help achieve organizational goals.
- Strategic and analytical thinking skills with ability to solve problems and make decisions and able to manage multiple task and prioritize, ability to determine activities and project towards measurable goals and standard setting in collaboration with other team members.
Interested applicants should send a current CV, cover letter, and references to CGHPI at firstname.lastname@example.org.