Health Informatics and Strategic Information Systems Specialist
The Georgetown University Center for Global Health Practice and Impact (CGHPI) serves countries to improve their population health and well-being and to safeguard against health-related threats by advancing the use of evidence and human-centered enterprise architecture on the path towards achieving equity and social justice. To achieve this mission, we catalyze the uptake, spread, and implementation of innovations; triangulate data from different sources, and tailor visualization of the information for each audience; design and implement integrated service delivery models; support communities of practice to inform policy and practice through efficient data use and horizontal and vertical collaboration; disseminate best practices and evidence globally through open source learning networks; build global, collaborative, multi-disciplinary, and interprofessional networks; undertake research that is informed by local needs; and invest in local leadership to own, provide oversight, and sustain implemented interventions.
Georgetown University’s Center for Global Health Practice and Impact (CGHPI) is currently recruiting for a Health Informatics and Strategic Information Systems Specialist (HISIS). The HISIS will lead the coordination and implementation of CGHPI’s global health programs data collection, data quality assurance and strategic information systems management. CGHPI supports countries to implement data management systems mostly based on DHIS2 platform that allows for integrated data analysis by supporting aggregate and event data collection of relevant components of program interventions. The inherent integrated data analysis abilities ensure that project staff can easily track performance indicators be they technical, financial, programmatic and administrative based on the program specific indicators. In addition, the Center operates in-house data management system to support its public health and research agenda that allows for real time monitoring and reporting on program performance measurement. This position will be responsible for providing routine support to CGHPI programs for implementing and managing health information systems with an emphasis on using DHIS2 to collect and manage program-wide data. This individual will support and work collaboratively with country teams to review and design appropriate, high quality, health information systems and electronic solutions that aid data collection, data storage, analysis, interoperability and visualization.
The HISIS will report to the Performance Measurement Portfolio Lead, and will work with other members of the CGHPI team, including the Center Co-Director, Executive Director, Principal Investigators, Field Project Directors, Technical Project Managers, Program Quality Improvement and Data Use Portfolio Lead, and other Program, and Center Staff.
* Maintain, customize and manage the center’s information system with a focus on data warehousing, quality assurance and visualization.
* Support the implementation of quality standards in the design, development, configuration of reports, queries and forms
* Conduct regular quality assurance/control assessments
* Provide technical support for field offices Health Information Systems and link with other data systems across several countries
* Ensure overall user security and governance in program information systems
* Provide technical assistance to ensure that data management activities are conducted according to several project work-plans in different countries
* Ensure the center’s in-house data management systems meet project needs and when performance issues arise, identify solutions to increase performance including hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query changes.
* Ensure there is in place a Disaster Recovery Plan in emergency situations including that database servers are backed up to meet recovery plan objectives
* Develop training curriculum and materials to build capacity on data management for field staff Perform other related duties as assigned
Requirements and Qualifications
* Masters in Health Informatics, Computer Science or related field.
* Minimum experience of 5 years working with large health databases
* Experience implementing and managing health information systems such as DHIS2
* Experience developing, piloting and implementing data reporting tools Experience in software development and testing
* Familiarity with PEPFAR data reporting requirements and systems (DATIM)
* Experience in conducting data quality/control assessment
* Experience in programming with java and database administration (MySQL or PostgreSQL), and basic knowledge of Linux operating system
* Proficiency in at least one of the statistical software (e.g.: Stata, R, SAS, SPSS)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Proficient use of data management and analysis tools
* Strong organizational, time management, computer and communication skills, leadership, coaching and team building skills to strengthen and cultivate relationship to help achieve organizational goal.
* Strategic and analytical thinking skills with ability to solve problems and make decisions and able to manage multiple task and prioritize, ability to determine activities and project towards measurable goals and standard setting in collaboration with other team members.
* Ability to work with other team members, flexibility, decisiveness and personal integrity. Ability to travel domestic and internationally.
* Proficiency in French language an added advantage
Interested applicants should send a current CV, cover letter, and references to CGHPI at firstname.lastname@example.org.