Health Informatics and Analytics Advisor (HIAA), TIDE Program Tanzania
Reports to: Country Program Director
Key Work Relationships: Principal Investigator, Co-PI and Global Project Director, HQ Performance Measurement Portfolio Lead, HQ Health Informatics and Data Integration Advisor, Center Faculty and Staff
Place of work: Dar-es-Salaam Tanzania (with frequent travel around the country)
About CGHPI: The Georgetown University Center for Global Health Practice and Impact (CGHPI) serves countries to improve their population health and wellbeing and to safeguard against health-related threats by advancing the use of evidence and human-centered enterprise architecture on the path towards achieving equity and social justice. To achieve this mission, we catalyze the uptake, spread, and implementation of innovations; triangulate data from different sources, and tailor visualization of the information for each audience; design and implement integrated service delivery models; support communities of practice to inform policy and practice through efficient data use and horizontal and vertical collaboration; disseminate best practices and evidence globally through open source learning networks; build global, collaborative, multi-disciplinary, and interprofessional networks; undertake research that is informed by local needs; and invest in local leadership to own, provide oversight, and sustain implemented interventions. CGHPI has recently received an award from U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through funding from the U.S President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) to support HIV response efforts in Tanzania for achievement of HIV epidemic control to implement a program titled Translating Data and Evidence into Impact (TIDE). As a result, CGHPI is recruiting for Health Informatics and Analytics Advisor (HIAA) for TIDE Tanzania Program.
The Health Informatics and Analytics Advisor (HIAA) will lead implementation of TIDE Tanzania program data collection, quality assurance, integration, analysis and visualization in support of evidence use agenda. CGHPI supports countries to implement data management systems mostly based on DHIS2 platform plus specialized in-house systems that allow for fast integration of large data sets, promote confidentiality and allow for real time collaboration across different institutions and geographical locations. These data systems support aggregate and event data collection of relevant components of program interventions. The inherent integrated data analysis abilities ensure that project staff can easily track performance indicators be they technical, financial, programmatic and administrative based on the program specific indicators. In addition, the Center operates in-house data management system to support its public health and research agenda that allows for real time monitoring and reporting on program performance measurement. This position will be responsible for providing routine support to TIDE Tanzania program for implementing and managing health information systems with an emphasis on using DHIS2 to collect and manage program-wide data. This individual will support and work collaboratively with other Implementing Partners, the Government of Tanzania at all levels to review and design appropriate, high quality, health information systems and electronic solutions that aid data collection, data storage, analysis, interoperability and visualization.
Data Reporting and Warehousing
- Maintain, customize and manage Tanzania TIDE Program information system with a focus on data quality assurance, data warehousing, data integration, quality assurance and visualization.
- Improve data Quality: (1) Collection and review of site-level data to ensure accuracy, timeliness, and completeness for weekly, monthly, and quarterly monitoring and reporting. Expected outcomes include: Improved data quality of site-level routine GoT and PEPFAR reporting indicators (i.e., timely, complete, and accurate).
- Enhance data systems through: (1) Ensuring that government data systems are supported and utilized as a routine practice of service delivery at the site-level, (2) Timely activation of newly deployed and upgraded data system components. Expected outcomes include ensured functionality of government data systems at the site-level (i.e., CTC2 and supplement pharmacy and lab module).
- Contribute to sustainability and capacity building: (1) Trainings and mentoring provided to ensure increased skills to analyze and use data for decision-making. Expected outcomes include: strengthened capacity of data-related skills and competences for site-level analyses and use to drive decision-making. This will result in sustainable critical skills and competences necessary for improved evidence-based program planning and service delivery.
- Support the implementation of quality standards in the design, development, configuration of reports, queries and forms
- Conduct regular quality assurance/control assessments
- Provide technical support to IPs, RHMT and health facilities to optimize use of Health Information Systems and link with other data systems across several countries
- Ensure overall user security and governance in program information systems
- Provide technical assistance to ensure that data management activities are conducted according to several project work-plans in different regions
- Ensure the center’s in-house data management systems meet project needs and when performance issues arise, identify solutions to increase performance including hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query changes.
- Ensure there is in place a Disaster Recovery Plan in emergency situations including that database servers are backed up to meet recovery plan objectives
- Develop training curriculum and materials to build capacity on data management for IP, RHMT and facility staff
Education: Masters in Health Informatics, Computer Science or related field
- Minimum experience of 5 years working with large health databases
- Experience implementing and managing health information systems such as DHIS2
- Experience developing, piloting and implementing data reporting tools
- Proficiency working with Tanzania specific patient information management systems – specifically CTC2 and mHealth solutions
- Experience in software development and testing
- Familiarity with PEPFAR data reporting requirements and systems (DATIM)
- Experience in conducting data quality/control assessment
- Experience in programming with java and database administration (MySQL or PostgreSQL), and knowledge of Linux operating system
- Proficient in database administration (MySQL or PostgreSQL)
- Basic knowledge of Linux operating system
- Proficiency in at least one of the statistical software (e.g.: Stata, R, SAS, SPSS)
- Proficiency in at least one data visualization solutions (e.g Tableau)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong organizational, time management, computer and communication skills, leadership, coaching and team building skills to strengthen and cultivate relationship to help achieve organizational goal.
- Strategic and analytical thinking skills with ability to solve problems and make decisions and able to manage multiple task and prioritize, ability to determine activities and project towards measurable goals and standard setting in collaboration with other team members.
- Ability to work with other team members, flexibility, decisiveness and personal integrity.
- Fluency in both English and Swahili.
Interested applicants should send a current CV, cover letter, and references to CGHPI at firstname.lastname@example.org.